Layman Road, Busselton
Wonnerup is an important surviving example of an early pioneer farm complex in Western Australia.
The area was first settled in 1834 when the Bussell family moved from Augusta to the Vasse River region. The
name is said to be derived from an Aboriginal word meaning ‘place of the digging stick (pepper
Wonnerup consists of a homestead (1859), an earlier house (1837) later converted to a dairy and
kitchen, stables, blacksmith, a restored one-teacher school and teacher’s residence. Wonnerup is set in several
acres of farm land adjoining the Ludlow Tuart Forest. Lawns and gardens surround the main buildings. There is
a picnic space, toilets and ample room for car and coach parking.
Wonnerup is a significant heritage place that has been under the
care of the National Trust of Australia (WA) since 1973. It has been conserved with the assistance of local
Students will be given an introduction to Wonnerup by the National Trust warden or volunteer. A dvd
of the history of the place and area is available to view. Some older style games are kept on site for your
A collaborative program with Department of Environment and
Conservation engages students with the history and cultural heritage of the area and the biodiversity of the
tuart forest. Contact Wonnerup or DEC to learn more.
A pdf Teacher Information Sheet can be downloaded
A pdf Student Trail and Post Visit Questionnaire can be downloaded.
Booking Fees and to Request a Booking click here
EXCURSION MANAGEMENT & EVACUATION PLAN
View Larger Map
back to top