170 Middleton Road,
Old Farm, Strawberry Hill has exceptional heritage significance. It was the first
farm in Western Australia commencing in 1827 within a few months of establishment of the Military settlement of
King George Sound. Stock were kept there and vegetables grown for the survival of soldiers and later the
early settlers. A wattle and daub, thatched roof cottage was constructed in 1831 but destroyed by fire in 1870. The
two storey granite extension built in 1836 is what is seen today.
At one time the farm
extended over 52 hectares. Only 1.2 hectares remain containing the main house building, a cottage built by Charles
Miner in 1870 and beautiful grounds with some early plantings. Old Farm, Strawberry Hill lay derelict for many
years until it was vested in the National Trust of Australia (WA) in 1964. Substantial conservation works were
undertaken before it was opened to the public.
Volunteers give a guided
tour of the property and answer questions. There are grounds where students can have lunch and play games. There is
an outside stage area for performance and group activities.
All visits to Old Farm,
Strawberry Hill link with the Western Australian Curriculum Framework through the Society & Environment
learning area. Close links are made to Investigation, Communication and Participation; Time, Continuity and Change
and Active Citizenship.
A pdf Student
Trail of the site is available for
Australian Curriculum: History
programs for years 2, 4 and 5 are available to
Bookings essential. Allow at least one hour for your visit.
Booking Fees and to Request a Booking click here
INSURANCE, EXCURSION MANAGEMENT & EVACUATION
View Larger Map
back to top